Sun, May 21|
Newark Memorial Day Ceremony & Parade - 2023
This is an a ceremony and then a parade on Main Street in Newark, DE. This is the official State of Delaware ceremony for Memorial Day.
Time & Location
May 21, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM
Memorial Hall, S College Ave, Newark, DE 19716, USA
About the event
Notes: This is an a ceremony and then parade on Main Street in Newark, DE. See below for more information.
Length of Event: 12:30pm – 2:30pm
Arrival Time For Regiment: Noon
Parking: Please park near the location of the ceremony which is on north side of Memorial Hall
Restrooms: Indoors – fully functioning on campus
Food and Beverages Provided: Yes – by Regiment or event organizer for lunch.
Encampment Setup Level: None. Ceremony and parade only
Camp Kitchen Setup: No
Camp Kitchen Tent Fly: No
Supply Tent Setup: No
In Ground or Above Ground Fire Permitted: No
Individual Soldier Tents Permitted: No – Indicate to Officer of the Day if bringing your own soldier tent.
Water Provided: Yes – from event organizers
Straw Provided: No
Firewood Provided: No
Impression: Delaware Continental uniform preferred. Otherwise, militia.
Kit Level: Full kit
Musket Firing: Yes
Contact Musician Sergeant-Major for music to be played at this event. Military calls also to be demonstrated too if possible.
Impression: Civilian followers of a military camp.
Table Displays Permitted: No.
Please assist in setup and/or breakdown if possible. Also – please bring camera or video camera to take photographs or video if possible. We will look to take posed photos that will be used to help educate the public if possible at each event this year.
Registered as Attending:
- Chris Mlynarczyk - Military - Officer
- Tom DeMott - Military - Soldier
- Chris Schad - Military - Soldier
Info from Event Organizers:
Group Name: 1st Delaware Regiment
Parade Position Number:302
General Information for Participants
• Please note your number in the official parade line up. That number will correspond with flags and markings on the street for your line up location.
– Marching participants participating in the Ceremony on the Green will line up on the UD Green south of Delaware Avenue. Participants must be on the Green by 12:30 p.m. and in formation for the ceremony no later than 12:45 p.m.
– All other marching participants will be lining up on the north side of Delaware Avenue. Please look for your location and stand behind the numbered flag in the formation in which you will be marching.
– Vehicles will be lined up on South College Avenue. NOTE –PEDESTRIANS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO WAIT OR LINE UP ON SOUTH COLLEGE AVENUE. Marchers will be merged with vehicles prior to stepping off onto Main Street for the parade. Vehicle drivers should check in with a parade volunteer or staff member upon arrival to their line up location.
• Water will be located at the following locations following the parade for your convenience.
– UD Green
– Chapel Street
– Parking for all busses, trailers, and vehicles of walking participants will be at the Hollingsworth Parking Lot (located on the corner of North College and Cleveland Avenues)
– Busses may drop participants off at Delaware Avenue then continue to the lot to park.
– Parking for participants will be located at the following locations:
• Pearson Hall (located on the corner of Lovett and Haines Streets).
• Additional parking is available at the Trabant Center Garage at a reduced fee of $6 maximum for the day.
• This year, the parade will proceed west to east on Main Street and disbanding at Chapel Street.
• The Reviewing Stand will be located on the right side of Main Street at Academy Street. Please note that non-military or service organizations will not be permitted to perform at the Reviewing Stand.
• Parade staff and volunteers will direct units into their marching column for the ceremony on the UD Green. Units should not move out of position until directed to do so by a staff member or volunteer.
• Officials at the UD Green Ceremony
– Col Jack Rule, Ret will preside over the ceremony and parade.
• IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER, PLEASE CALL THE LEISURE TIME HOTLINE (302) 366-7147 AFTER 11 a.m.
• If you have additional questions, please call Sharon Bruen at (302)366-7000 x1043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information for Unit Commanders and Group Leaders
• General Parade Information
– Units will not be permitted to spot drill or stop to perform at any time during the parade. All movements must be in a forward motion in order to avoid delays in the parade. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
– Parade officials will regulate the marching order of the parade. This is a standard order for official parades. Groups registered before May 5 will be placed appropriately. Groups registering after that date will be placed at the end of their respective category in order of receipt of the registration.
– Please keep a 20-30 foot interval between groups throughout the parade.
– All units or groups should maintain a four person front. Single file formations are discouraged.
• Information for Units Participating in the Ceremony on the Green
– Group leaders from all units that will be participating in the Ceremony on the Green will need to report to the steps on Memorial Hall at 12:30 p.m. for a briefing of the plan of the day. Units whose leaders are not able to attend, will not be permitted to participate in the ceremony. (If special circumstances exist that prevent you from being able to attend this meeting, please contact Sharon at (302) 366-7000 x1043).
– A general Massing of the Colors will not be taking place this year. Unit color guards will remain in front of their units throughout the ceremony and line the Green with colors. A joint unit from the Newark Police Department, Dover Air Force Base, and participating ROTC units.
– All groups participating in the Ceremony on the Green will participate in the Pass in Review prior to the start of the parade. (Instructions for the Pass in Review will be covered at the leaders’ briefing and a description is on the maps below.)
Schedule of the Day
Units begin to arrive at the Green to prepare for the Memorial Ceremony
Group leaders for all groups participating in the Ceremony on the Green will meet at the steps to Memorial Hall.
VIPs will leave Academy Street for transportation to Memorial Hall.
Units with Color Guards form on the University of Delaware Green for the Memorial Ceremony.
VIPs arrive and will begin to be seated for the Memorial Ceremony
Newark Community Band will play patriotic music.
Memorial Ceremony begins at Memorial Hall
Groups not participating in the Memorial Ceremony report to their designated locations.
Walking – UD Green North of Delaware Ave.
Vehicles – South College Ave.
Fire & Rescue – West End of Delaware Ave.
Full detour is implemented
Line up of parade units begins
Parade steps off onto Main Street. Participants will continue up Main Street to Chapel Street with a brief pause when the wreaths are laid at the monument at the Academy Building.
Approximate end of parade.
Please join in VFW Post 475’s Open House at 100 Veteran’s Drive, located just west of South Main Street (behind the Newark Municipal Building). (Age appropriate participants)
Ceremony on the Green Outline
• Section I
– Units take positions
• Flags will label their positions
– VIPs are seated
• Chairs will be set up to the right of Memorial Hall for dignitaries and other seating will be for military, political, and others.
• Section II
– Opening Remarks
– Presentation of Colors
• Joint Color Guard
• Robert House
– Pledge of Allegiance
• GS Troop 1078
– National Anthem
• Newark Community Band
• Section III
– My Delaware
• Delaware National Guard
– Firing of Honor Volley
• Delaware Military Academy
• Section IV
– Retire the Colors
• Joint Color Guard
– Pass in Review
• All units on the Green will turn and follow in parade order past the Reviewing Officer in front of Memorial Hall.